Tuesday, December 5, 2006

It only takes a spark...

I have refurbished my fireplace and bought a few safety things, to include a creosote destroying log. You burn a fire, and place the log on the coals. It converts the creosote to a flaky substance that falls into the ashes and you take it out when cold. God bless technology. I am so thankful for being able to burn a fire. After filling the house with smoke once by leaving the flu closed, Rebecca was averse to a fire for Years. To say it takes awhile to get over things is the understatement of the year for Asperger kids. Information about the traits has been so reassuring. I must tell you. The other night at Youth meeting at church, the usual prayer before a meal was about to be given, with volunteer youth giving it. Suddenly Rebecca said, "I will." She proceeded to offer a long prayer, that would have been too long except that it was so incredibly beautiful. She managed to weave together words from several Christmas music tapes with narrative along with some things I've said about the holiday season and even remembered to thank God for the food. More than one person complimented me on that prayer. A visitor was highly impressed.
Then, the next day a friend expressed her great appreciation for that prayer and until that moment I had Forgotten it. If ever I have had a reason to blog, journal, whatever, this is it. The real significant things can go off into history unheralded without the discipline of writing a few words. Life is like that. Life can drift off and away without significance unless we take the time to note a few sentences of the moments that connected. Wow, parents with ASD kids with echolalia: be sure to let them listen in the car to tapes, CDs of what you value. It Will come back! God is good and there is mercy forever! Amen.

2 comments:

~Lis said...

I think I forgot mention that this was the only prayer Rebecca has ever given, ever. God is good.

~Lis said...

I think I forgot mention that this was the only prayer Rebecca has ever given, ever. God is good.