Thursday, December 14, 2006

PBS Virtual Field Trips described at www.history.org/trips

Thursday and we watched a virtual field trip to colonial Williamsburg. It was wonderful although Rebecca had a hard time with it because it broke her normal schedule of television watching. I let her watch the"little kids" shows because of the social interaction they show. She has begun to use what she watches. Anyway, this wonderful conference call "field trip" showed the speech patterns of the day, what a child of 12 might be doing there in the 1700s, and the clothing styles. A girl from our time swapped lives with a girl from those times, and were trying to fit in. The girl from our time was told she was becoming a good apprentice but she was talking funny. And a girl from those times walked out of a store but stopped and handed the clerk a skirt, and asked her to stop by her home later with it, so she could see if it "went with" the items in the home. lol It was a hoot, as we say in TX. They are having one in January we will not miss! It is about a newspaper printer by the name of Clementine Rind who printed the Virginia Gazette in pre-Revolution times. At that point in our history, we did not have "freedom of the press"! This time, we will be "prepared with study materials, books we have read, and so forth so that Rebecca will be "free" of anxiety about the change to enjoy it!

I am having no nausea, finally, this morning. By drinking 2 cups of hot water and then waiting 30 minutes to eat, I am conquering my "internal workings"; I double dosed on one of the laxatives and finally found relief; I have learned to eat small meals with plenty of liquids. So, I am looking forward to the day. And my blood pressure was not so high this a.m. Yay, me! Yay, God! God is good.
The website for the PBS call-in shows is www.history.org/trips Jan-Apr will have really good shows come on at 1000 on KLRN, central standard time.
"Barney" this morning had a sketch about "people's faces reveal how they feel" so I got out the "Social Success Workbook" grandpa sent from the Instant Help Homework Series - Self Help Tools for Teens by Barbara Cooper and Nancy Widdows. So far, Rebecca does not know that these activities are "homework", a dirty word for her! lol She is activity 2 - Things that make me Happy.
I finally have a clearer vision of what I'd like to do for my capstone project at JIU (Jones International University, an accredited online university; not affiliated with Bob Jones). I am going to make a curriculum for using the mindmapping materials of Inspiration.com to design a course for parent-student teams to use the tool called Get SmartWired Cards, by Dr. Dawna Markova and the Professional Thinking Partners (both have good websites). Anyway, this will be a course that will teach the parents to be teachers for another group! At least one will want to do so if the curriculum is good. Parents of special needs kids are natural teachers; they have to be!!And I will add a "sharing community" componenet so that, with the participant's permission I will share the e-mail addresses among the group so people can participate in a forum. Sound good? And, I will have one grand "prize": a laptop. And numerous smaller "prizes": the Inspiration software, and the Markova/PTP tool for enhancing student success.
I think I can get corporate sponsorship. I have already got permission from the Get SmartWired folks to sell this at a discount...
This will begin as a course for everyone, with no prizes. And then we'll progress to a course for special needs students and their parents, with prizes...and "teacher training" with a forum for the "community of practice."

No comments: