Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Upside/Downside of Narcotic Pain Relief

Day 3 –

Woke with high blood pressure but no headache, just the usual physical pain. I waited exactly 30 minutes after taking the prilosec to take the other medicines, at least I meant to, but after the blood pressure came back so high, I rushed to take the lopressor and candesartan. When the rest of the thirty minutes were up, I took my oxycontin, celebrex, phenergan, zelnorm, and one other.
My blood pressure was high normal after that. I should say the systolic was higher than ideal but normal. Diatolic pressure was low normal, just what my kidneys need. And my pain went away.

I was so glad, I cooked and cleaned with such joy. For breakfast I ate slowly and drank a lot of water with it. Even so I did have nausea that kept me from starting the fireplace; I had to sit awhile and take catnaps (dozed) on and off for an hour. I barely made it to our “Sit and Be Fit” appointment.

But afterwards my neighbor and I trimmed the hedge in front of my house, and a tree that was in sad need of pruning. It had branches so low that I could not walk under it to mow (on the rare occasions I mow.) She even brought over some outdoor trash bags and bagged the remains. There were 5 bags. She did most of the actual work. I am good at encouraging, though, and she enjoyed most of it, I think. After, she suggested she drive us out to eat since her husband is out of town. I paid for the meal as that was only fair. My yard was transformed by all her tools and mostly her labor and it wasn’t easy. I was in pain (we finished 2 hours after my second oxycontin) and I could barely walk, never mind cooking or driving, so I appreciated my neighbor very much tonight. Now I am having pain but I am nearing the time to go to bed and will not try to do schoolwork. I was certainly mortified to read my comments in forum, really off the wall. At least I know they were not based on narcotics, just pain. Still, it comes down to the same thing; I must be so diligent to be “normal”. Enuf said.

Now I remember another reason I took off the patch (due to a horrific migraine lasting 5 days), I also have some diminished stamina and sleepiness. I cannot “make myself” keep going as much. I have had some reflux, but I am eating very slowly and very small bites, chewing carefully and drinking plenty of liquids. So my nausea has been manageable, but annoying with these pills. I just pray that my stamina and focus will not be impaired with the patch. I need to study. After talking with my neighbor, I realize that NISD likes to have people with some expertise teach in adult education. My course will fit exactly what I am trying to do. I finally have a vision of what I’d like to do for a career and my very practical neighbor seemed to love the idea.

Rebecca was a very good girl at the restaurant. They cover the tables with butcher paper and supply crayons to every table. Rebecca produced some very good artwork, and participated in the conversation very appropriately.
Again today I had several hours I could really work carefree on taking care of the house (yard).
I could not have dreamed of doing this before (without narcotic pain relief); thank you God.
Thank you God for my life and this earth, warmth and family, home and church. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

No comments: