Friday, December 8, 2006

Sun Microsystems!

I watched an interview with the CEO of Sun Microsystems tonight on the PBS' show "NOW" and he described the meaning of this term they made famous, "We are in a Participant Age" no longer the "Information Age". This means that we are no longer simply consuming information, but we are helping create that information, because we have the technological tools to do it. So, what is the role of the blog?
Here it is: I got lost the other day and could not find my blog, and I perused other blogs. I found someone in my home state of Oregon, with spiritual and religious insights equal to a professionally educated clergy, living the life I had dreamed of in the past. She is married, has several children they adopted through the foster program in the state. Her work is varied and fascinating, contributing to her community all in a volunteer capacity. Wow!
There it is, the role of the blog: we are a community of people encouraging one another, creating the future. It has always been true that we are creating our future, but until now we have not had the tools to make it so obvious.
I loved the goals of Sun Microsystems, one being to make solar powered cellphones pc capable, to link the world, in Darful, in the Amazon jungles, everywhere there are people creating their world, which is ours. The potential is awesome, enormous, and mindboggling.
It's big, bigger than antibiotics, if less obvious.
I just cannot decide if I should make Chapel Haven, for $80,000. my goal for Rebecca, as I'd like, or if I should run back home to Oregon and trust those smart and capable people to help me create what we need for Rebecca on the side of the country I prefer. It is a fact that New England, especially Connecticutt have grand opportunities; I just pray to God I make the right decisions. I need to run out of Texas. They have healthcare services I need and friends I love, but nothing for Rebecca's development. Today we went to a jazz concert of piano and saxophone downtown. There were numerous nearly all black schools there with students plus, right in the middle of the room, nearly a whole row of homeschool students and their mothers, all white. One of those with us turned out to be a racist person. Her discomfort was something I had not seen since my days of integration in South Carolina. Oh, how I longed to be in Oregon where such strangeness is not seen. Unfortunately, there are not many blacks there either. The lack of diversity there is a turn off to me now that I have learned to love African American jazz and soul culture and Hispanic big hearted family culture here in San Antonio. I will miss it. But in February my stipend ends and I must be ready to make a change. The house must be ready to sell, and we must be ready to leave. I'd like to visit my daughter in NC before we are gone. And then we will on the road. What long road from military to civilian, from trusting parent to entrpreneur again.
When my older daugher was little, I had a preschool of 20+ little ones because I thought it was the best thing for my daughter. I have the same commitment now. Just what should I do to help my Rebecca? Kristin turned out so well and I am so proud; she is so happy and capable. For her, I did everything I could to help her have every advantage and it paid off. I wish I could tell the world's parents to invest now and not hold back anything. Your happiness because of your child will pay you back over and over again.
So what about my darling Rebecca?
I had an inspiration to have Rebecca prepare now for the GED and purchased the TV411 materials (an adult education/literacy program) because she is a little adult. She responds best to adult materials. Can't wait...
Life, what possibilities!
Help me God live the details right now, Lord. Amen

No comments: