Thursday, November 30, 2006

Dear God, help the parents of ASD kids step forward

Today I read about more Asperger's help; the nation has finally started to acknowledge a severe problem. I am desperately trying to find a way to organize a supportive community of practice. But today I just read about a woman who applies the rather new profession of "coaching" (this is what I would say chaplains in the military do, from my own experience) to parenting children of mild special needs, including Asperger syndroms, one at a time. Perhaps that would be my forte. I am going to start by designing a course for children, including those on the ASD spectrum, that focuses their interests, talents (gifts, we all have them), using mindmapping technique. I dearly love to teach a group of interacting people of mixed ages, and the energy of it. I cannot do a lot of it; I will need to create a community I can nurture online if at all. But I can teach a class that would empower families to work with their children on a trajectory that leads to success and accomplishment, and then teach it when and as I am able.
Whew! I feel more focused already. Dear God, bring others who have similar commitment to help the vulnerable children growing to a possibly undervalued, underequipped adulthood; we in this nation are woefully unprepared. Amen.

No comments: