Wednesday, November 15, 2006

ASDHomeEducation

I've been home educating my daughter who is affected by Asperger's (Rebecca is 13 yrs.) for two years while I am completing a MEd. in e-learning, tech and design degree (so that I can pretend that I know what I am doing/have some help in this endeavor.) To complete the degree, I need a project and I hope to create a community of practice for parents like me. I realize that as a retired chaplain (Air Force/hospital) I could lead a support/collegial group for other parents of kids with ASD (autism spectrum disorders). Internet refs to Asperger's show there are a lot of parents grappling with these challenges, whether home educating or not.
This may be my mission, at least for several years...to help improve life preparation for our children.
Dear God, let us work together to lessen the sorrow, lighten the burden for the beautiful parents entrusted with special ASD children. Let not one more mother be so crushed and alone that tragedy strikes, but through grace with willing hands and sharing hearts, let there be a community that cares with results that shine for our vulnerable children. Amen.
...and by the way, just because I cannot help the emergence of prayers when I pour out my heart does not mean I am seeking only the faithful...well, actually, to be honest I must say that I do believe faith helps a parent cope. But agnostics and atheists are cheerfully welcome to participate. I hope you'll add your thoughts, and let no religious barrier occur. Some of the best people are in those categories!
Shalom and blessings, ~Lis

1 comment:

Mom4specialG said...

I am reduced to commenting on my blog, because I cannot figure out how to post my second blog remarks.
I am planning to write a grant proposal for my support group. I want a tech component for the parents and students...that will take some brainstorming.

Blessings to all, and especially upon my mind, Lord, for this task. Enlarge my vision; thank you, ~Lis